I have discovered a new love: eggplant and chickpea curry.
I love a meal that is simple to prepare, involves cheap ingredients and is delicious.
I snagged a few eggplants on special at Aldi’s the other day–half the price of Woolies!! and so I’ve been overloading on the eggplant dishes. I can’t begin to tell you how it is one of my favourite vegetables. I first got into it in China–the way they cook it over there is truly divine.
I actually just pan fried a bit of eggplant in coconut oil for lunch. Once again it was delicious.
So this recipe comes from
Eggplant and chickpea curry recipe
- 1 lg eggplant
- 1 tbs oil (I use coconut or olive)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2tbs curry powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 150g baby spinach or rocket
- 2tbs mango chutney, plus extra to serve (I’ve never used this as have not had it on hand)
- Steamed basmati rice and pappadams, to serve (I’ve not use the pappadams)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Prick the eggplant all over with a fork, and place on a baking tray. Roast for 30 mins or until tender and starting to collapse. Cool slightly
- Meanwhile, place the oil in a deep frypan (with a lid) over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas and 200ml water, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Chop the eggplant and stir into the curry with the spinach and mango chutney. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Season, then serve with basmati rice, pappadams and extra mango chutney.
I’m thinking of trying this next time with coconut milk.
What do you think?